It has been one wacky year so far in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series, that is for sure. We've seen the resurgence of Dale Earnhardt, Jr., the revitalization of Chip Ganassi Racing (including a amazing start by rookie Kyle Larson) and the nightmarish start of the season for Roush Fenway Racing (that was made no better at Michigan last Sunday). So let's take a look at my favorites for Sunday's race at Sonoma, the first road race of the year.
1) Jimmie Johnson- At this point, you can't bet against him. Everyone thought that he was going to be in danger of missing the chase before the 600 in Charlotte last month. Now, Jimmie is the current #1 seed in the chase.
2) Dale Earnhardt, Jr.- This may very well be Jr's best year in Cup so far, and I don't think he's anywhere near done. Sonoma isn't his best track, but he's done well this year of getting good finishes at not so good tracks for him.
3) Kevin Harvick- If it hasn't been for all of the horrific luck that this team has had, they may have 6 or 7 wins right now, instead of 2. "Happy" has been "Freaky Fast" (you're welcome, Jimmy John's) at seemingly every race this year, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.
4) Joey Logano- "Sliced Bread" is finally living up to the name. The Penske driver has been very solid all season long, and along with Brad, they are Ford's only shot at a title right now.
5) Jeff Gordon- Where did this man come from? After toiling in the 10th place area the last two seasons, Gordon has all of a sudden regained his consistency that he is known for and currently leads the points standings heading into Sonoma, where he's kinda good.
Catch the Toyota/SaveMart 350 from Sonoma, Sunday on TNT.