Wednesday, February 1, 2012

"The Slam Diary": Rewinding The 25th Annual Royal Rumble

Welcome Back everyone to the "Slam Diary." We are recapping the 25th Anniversary of the Royal Rumble that took place Sunday from the Scottrade Center in St. Louis, MO. Here we go with your match-by-match recaps!







Match #1: Daniel Bryan (c) vs. Big Show vs. Mark Henry in a Triple Threat Steel Cage Match for the World Heavyweight Championship




Matt:There was not really a whole lot to this match. WWE was already limited by having Big Show and Mark Henry work againtst Daniel Bryan. They were even more limited with Henry being injured. I know that he is trying to tough out ankle and knee injuries, as well as a groin injury. The match really felt like it was just used to build Bryan as a heel. It did not last long at all for a title match. I will say that I am happy to see the WWE having enough confidence to keep the WHC on Bryan. It seems like the WWE hihger ups have full confidence in Bryan right now. Overall I give the match 2 out of 5 stars.


Jack: How freaking lucky can Daniel Bryan be? I said that there could be no way in hell he could keep those guys down...and I was right. Daniel Bryan didn't win that match, he escaped...literally. Rating: 2.5 of 5 stars


Match #2: The Divas of Doom (Divas Champ Beth Phoenix and Natalya) and the Bella Twins (Brie and Nikki) vs. Eve Torres, Alicia Fox, Tamina and Kelly Kelly


Jack: I should have spent this time watching the Atlanta Hawks beat the New Orleans Hornets within a inch of their life. Instead, I put my eyes through six minutes of torture. Rating: -2 of 5 stars


Matt:This diva match was used for nothing more than a time filler and used to make Beth Phoenix look strong heading into WM. Not even worth rating or talking about.


Match # 3: John Cena vs. Kane




Matt:This match felt like it belonged on RAW. I got bored with it and so did the crowd in St. Louis, MO. The ending was also pretty terrible, I never really approve of double count out endings. Then the WWE creative team made the mistake of having Zack Ryder be the victim of Kane once again. If they wanted to make his injuries believeable they should have left him off tv for at least a week. Overall I give the match 2 out of 5 stars.

Jack: Man, any other day this is a main event. This was an all out brawl, and hell everybody loves all out brawls! We saw a side of Cena we haven't see in so long, I loved every minute of it. If this is the Cena we are getting for WrestleMania, SunLife Stadium won't know what hit it. Rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

Match #4: Drew McIntyre vs. Broadus Clay

Jack: (watching Winter X Games) "Did he just hit a frontflip on a snowmobile?!" (turns around) "Oh, Broadus Clay is coming out." (friend whispers in my ear) "Damn, beat him that quick? Squash!" Rating: 0.5 of 5 stars; 5 of 5 for the women that Broadus Clay comes out with...DAMN!

Matt:Well I wish Teddy Long would make good of his word and get rid of Drew McIntyre. I really have grown to love Brodus Clay's funkasarus character. This was just a squash match used to build up Clay. Overall I give this 4 of 5 stars, but this rating is based only off of Clay's character.

Match #5 CM Punk (c) vs. Dolph Ziggler for the WWE Championship with John Laura-what his face as Special Guest Referee



Matt:After this match I was pretty pleased. Sure CM Punk carried most of the action in the match. I loved how Punk had Dolph Ziggler beaten several times before the ref "woke up" after being "knocked out." Then for a long two count we almost see Punk get screwed. Johnny Ace did some good butt kissing in this match by "calling it fair." Overall this match had good in-ring and entertainment value. 4 out of 5 stars.

Jack: I seriously thought Johnny Ace was gonna screw Punk, but even though it took 5 times, The Cult of Personality retained his gold. This was the match of the night, outside the Rumble. Punk and Ziggler have had many a great matches and this was another one. Dolph Ziggler isn't ready for a World Title run yet, but he's getting there, wrestling for gold in the last 2 Rumbles. This is a looooooooooooooooong way from the Spirit Squad, but he is a great wrestler and the "ShowOff" persona is working for him. I plan on him making noise at 'Mania. Rating 4 of 5 stars

Match #6: The 25th Royal Rumble Match- Highlights and Lowlights



Jack: Highlights: #1: Sheamus wins: Even though he eliminated my pick to win...this is a great push as a face for Sheamus, and I believe he will be the CM Punk of 2012. He's definitely gonna be a force in Miami.
#2 Surprise Returns: Man, three returns set it off for me. First, Hall of Famer "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan, the first Royal Rumble winner, came back and competed (HO!). Then, the next great diva in WWE history, Awesome Kong Kharma came in and made Michael Cole look more pathetic than he already was. Then it hit. "Oh you didn't know?! Your ass better call somebody!!!" "Road Dogg" Jesse James of the New Age Outlaws and DX came back with a little "Shake, Rattle and Roll". Ah, good times.

Lowlights: Why the hell was Jinder Mahal in the damn match? or Michael Cole? Rating 3.5 of 5 stars

Matt: Okay my # 1 highlight from the RR was the finish with Sheamus and Chris Jericho. Yes, I know I picked Jerich to win but in this case it was refreshing to be wrong. My # 2 highlight was Kofi Kingston avoiding elimination by doing a handstand all the way to the steps! Talk about athleticism! I thought the WWE only gave spots like that to John Morrison?



 My lowlight was NO BIG NAME RETURNS! I felt that this year's RR was missing that special moment, I figured that they would make it with The Rock or something like that. Rating 3 of 5 stars



Final Grades:

Matt Brown: C, It didn't feel like a big four PPV.

Jack Patterson: C+, 1st subpar PPV since the debacle that was Vengeance.

And once again, the official theme song of the Royal Rumble was "Dark Horses" by Switchfoot. It's off the album "Vice Verses."



Well, that will do it for the "Slam Diary" for now, next time we will see you will be in a little over two weeks when we preview the Elimination Chamber from the Bradley Center in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. 

Coming Up on the Blog tomorrow: "Sounds of the Squared Circle: The Royal Rumble", a countdown of every theme song used for the Royal Rumble.







No comments:

Post a Comment